Finchcocks is a fine early 18th century house set in wooded farmland. The house is named after the family who lived here in the 13th century.
In 1568 the property was acquired by the Bathurst family. Edward Bathurst, kinsman to Earl Bathurst, inherited Finchcocks in 1718. He was barrister and Master of the Bench in the Middle Temple. Having married a local heiress he found himself with sufficient means to build a splendid new house.
The house was completed in 1725 and this date can be seen on the rainwater heads.
In 1797 Finchcocks was sold to the Springett family who retained the property until 1860 when it was sold to Edward Hussey of Scotney Castle.
The house was let several times before being sold again in 1918.
Subsequently Finchcocks passed through several hands until it was purchased by the present owner, Richard Burnett, in 1971. He is a pianist, leading exponent of the early piano, collector and entrepreneur.
When the house was bought it was is poor state of repair and the Burnett family spent five years restoring the building before it was opened to the public in 1976.
Book This Venue
Call us on 020 7186 8686 or complete the form below